Birthday reflection




My 37th Birthday was on the 19th. In the past, I would enjoy sex on my birthday, sometimes multiple partners over the course of the day. On my birthday, this year, I went to church. I cleaned. I cooked. I was tortured by the kids, but I did not engage in sexual activities.

When I woke up Sunday morning, I was flipping through the channels and landed on Tony Evans discussing lust of the flesh and lust of the eyes. I don't know the title of the sermon and didn't take notes, but it came in handy that morning (If anyone knows the title of the sermon, let me know).  He discussed how lust can draw you away from Jesus.

The Lusts of the Flesh

1 John 2:16-17 says  "For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes,and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever"


A. Defined by Revelation.co


Revelation.co defined the lust of the flesh as the "temptation to feel physical pleasure from some sinful activity--to so something to make the flesh feel satisfied. It can involve any type of sexual activity that will bring pleasure to the body."  

Lusts of the flesh can include sexual sins, drug use, and physical violence.

B. Defined by Dr. David Allen

On Dr. David Allen's site, he discusses how the lusts of the flesh can draw people away from God. The lusts of the flesh "fights against the will of God in your life".

C. What God Says: 

According to the Galatians 5:19-21:

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God

Knowing Jesus provides a list of other bible verses about lusts of the flesh.

I am glad I did not fall back into old habits after the lost. I am glad I did not fallback into old habits on my birthday.

I was talking to a man online earlier today. He has told me before he frequents hookers because "he is a man and has needs" but he also wants a relationship and a wife. The thing about it is that when I was promiscuous, if someone told me they wanted a relationship, I would leave them alone because I could not give them the desires of their heart. Now, I won't touch a man, who is sexually active because I can't give him the lusts of his penis.

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

Comments

Popular Posts